Art & Design
Overall School Vision - Every Child to be the best that they can be.
Values: We show respect, we make the right choices, we roll up our sleeves.
Our Art & Design Vision
Our Art and Design curriculum provides all pupils with a broad and balanced entitlement to learning which encourages creativity.
We promote a high-quality art and design education that will engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- To provide a broad, balanced and enriched Art & Design Curriculum which equips pupils with appropriate subject knowledge, skills and understanding as set out in the National Curriculum.
- To ensure that all pupils have the opportunity to gain deepened experience of a variety of art, artists, designers and craft makers whilst harnessing their creativity.
- To equip pupils with the knowledge and skills to experiment, to be engaged, to explore, to be challenged, to invent, to be inspired and to create their own works of art, craft and design.
- To support pupils in becoming independent, enquiring and collaborative learners by offering an enriched Art and Design curriculum where differing learning styles are catered for and individual strengths developed.
- To foster meaningful cross-curricular links and enrichment opportunities that encourage creativity and meet the children’s needs and interests.
- LTP, MTP and weekly lesson plans linked to the NC, ensuring complete coverage whilst embedded in an engaging curriculum which allows for progression of key skills.
- Termly engaging topics that inspire and challenge children to explore and develop their creativity, which will be developed through weekly timetabled lessons (Ks1 – Ks2).
- In the EYFS, Art and Design will be taught through the Early Learning Goals and is linked to objectives both in the Primary and Specific Areas within the EYFS Development Matters framework.
- Opportunities for children to look at a variety of artistic styles whilst exploring different mediums, materials and art and design techniques with the inclusion of digital artwork.
- Opportunities to learn and practise skills discreetly and then use the learnt skills throughout other topics also allowing the re-visitation of skills to support development and mastery.
- A deepened knowledge of a variety of artists, sculptures, designers, architects and craft makers in history and the present world, and their works.
- Exposure to key vocabulary and techniques throughout the curriculum and support to use key terms with growing confidence.
- Encouragement to use sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Use of display to celebrate children’s learning in topics as ‘Every child is an artist’.
- Opportunities to analyse and evaluate creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Opportunities for teachers to assess learning and progress at end of topic.
- Opportunities for pupils to reflect on progress and learning throughout and at end of topic.
- Enrichment opportunities and extra-curricular learning experiences to engage and inspire.
- T2T – to ensure vision and implementation of Art & Design is consistent throughout school.
- Opportunities to use ‘The Design Studio’ and a range of high-quality resources to support and enhance learning in weekly lessons.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of the LTP and MTPs which will show that teachers are planning engaging weekly lessons (per half term) in line with the broad and balanced curriculum coverage.
- Formative and summative assessment opportunities within each topic.
- ‘Pupil Voice’ to show increased engagement and to reflect on knowledge/skills gained in topics.
- Art sketch books used to record observations, correspond with curriculum planning as well as showing a development of skills and techniques in KS1 and KS2.
- Sampling of work in art sketch books will show high quality learning, with meaningful opportunities for children to develop a progression of skills and techniques and evaluate works of art.
- Increased engagement of pupils and pupils to be equipped with a range of skills and techniques to form a strong foundation for Art & Design and enable the children to become creatively confident.
- A heightened profile of art and design throughout the school and a provision of enrichment opportunities for pupils.
Art & Design at Uxendon Manor
Art & Design Long Term Plan