Cooking and Nutrition
As part of their work with food, pupils should be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Instilling a love of cooking in pupils will also open a door to one of the great expressions of human creativity. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
Pupils should be taught to:
Key stage 1
- Use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes.
- Understand where food comes from.
Key stage 2
- Understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet.
- Prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques.
- Understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.
"Cooking with kids is not just about ingredients and recipes. It's about harnessing imagination, empowerment and creativity." - Guy Fieri