Key Stage 1
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, pupils should be taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making.
When designing and making, pupils should be taught to:
- Design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria.
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and, where appropriate, information and communication technology.
- Select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks.
- Select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics.
- Explore and evaluate a range of existing products.
- Evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria.
- Build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable.
- Explore and use mechanisms [for example,levers, sliders, wheels and axles], in their products.